Throughout the the pandemic, Bronx Community Health Network began a food delivery program and enlisted the assistance of the Montefiore food pantry. The team at Bronx Community Health Network collects bags of food and delivers the items to individuals and families through a referral process. On March 26, Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. joined Bronx Community Health Network for deliveries in the borough.
On March 24, Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. attended the Groundbreaking of the New York State Regional Food Hub. This food hub is a joint city and state effort, and will offer job creation and expand access to fresh produce in our borough and beyond.
It will aid in the following key solutions:
- Bringing higher food quality
- Helping individual farmers achieve sufficient volume of produce to meet the scale needed by distributors
- Efficient transportation to streamline supply chains
- Appropriate storage, processing and distribution space
- Connections between producers and buyers
- Source identification and traceability
- Access to capital
- Minimizing start-up and growth costs
- Reducing inequity and improving access
- Inclusive planning and decision-making
Prior to the pandemic, many Bronx residents suffered from food insecurity, and COVID-19 has exacerbated this. Borough President Diaz has allocated funding towards this project, which will benefit local farmers, create true living wage jobs and aid in providing access to healthy food for our most vulnerable communities during this global crisis and for years to come.
On March 22, Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. joined Council Member Fernando Cabrera and the Rios Family on E. Fordham Road and Grand Concourse to co-name the street Big Pun Plaza.
By: Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.